Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Faith, God's ways and Grown-up Conversations with My Mother

God's ways are perfect.

Now that I am all grown up (well, I'm an adult at least... I'll probably never grow up!) my mom and I have the most wonderful conversations. I truly appreciate her unconditional love and support. She has taught me so much about life and faith and love and being a mother.

But mostly she has taught me about faith.

My mother is the epitome of a faithful woman. During years of uncertainty and struggle, as a single mother of 3 teenage girls, she relied on God (and still does) as her source of strength. She learned to place all her worries and fears in His hands.

He always provided.

Throughout my years of struggle and strife and questioning God and His ways, I was watching my mother. Watching her kind, loving, and forgiving ways. She is always looking for ways to bless the lives of others. Her faith is unwavering.

In 2007 my mom gave me a copy of the book, The Secret.

Being raised Catholic, I was shocked and surprised that my mother believed in the law of attraction, aka the law of love, that The Secret described.

I thought the book was new-agey and sac religious.

At the time I was not even a practicing Catholic, but I knew (or thought I knew) that the concepts presented in The Secret were NOT supported by biblical scriptures. They were pretty much contradictory to everything I had ever been taught about God and religion.

But the book intrigued me.

So... I read it a second time.

And made a list of the things I wanted to attract into my life.

Just to test the ideas being offered in The Secret.

The concepts offered in the book sounded too good to be true. Too magical. Almost childish. The idea that a person could think about how they wanted their life to be... and poof! bring it to reality? Nah. That's the stuff fairy-tales are made of... magical thinking... kids' stuff.

I had no resistance to it though...

I wouldn't tell anyone what I was doing...

I'd make it a game.

Next I made lists of things I wanted. The qualities of the man I'd want to marry. A house. A brand new house. Jewelry. Vacations. Beach vacations. Flowers. Roses. Red roses. A diamond ring. An engagement ring. Another child. A less stressful job.

At that time, all those things seems impossible for me. For the life path I had chosen. I was a young single mother with a very stressful job and a very messy, very complicated relationship with my son's father.

Slowly... and then quickly... all of the things on my list started to appear in my life.

Within a matter of months the items on my list started to trickle into my reality. And within a matter of a couple of years my entire life was completely transformed.

I knew it had worked.

Yet, I still doubted.

I had much more to learn. And I still have much more to learn.

Fast forward to today....

For the last several years, and even more so in the last several months, I have been listening, learning, studying, aligning, and allowing God's ways.

The conversations my mom and I have will occasionally (and lately more often) gravitate to the topic of God and the Holy Spirit and Faith and the Law of Attraction and Love and how Love is the same as the Law of Attraction.

And it is amazing. And aw-inspiring.
The way that all the dots seem to connect.
And at the same time it feels like something I have always known.

The way that all the events in my life, from the time I was a small child, seem to have been leading up to the same thing. The same calling.

To help people. To love. To understand. To teach.

To help others understand the law of love.

To help others understand God's ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment